Sunday, June 12, 2011

Corn & Coons

    
   Here in Northern Minnesota, we are in a constant battle with the critters. We try to raise food for the table and the critters try to take it from us. 
   Each year, I put corn seed in the ground with hopes of several nice meals of corn on the cob. As I bend over in the garden, nearby a coon is taking notes on when it should be ready to steal. His record keeping ability is flawless.
   As the summer goes by and the corn grows, the coon and I watch and wait. Then one day in the middle of August, I notice that the corn is almost ready. Tomorrow is the long awaited day. 
   Around noon, I put the water on the stove and turn up the fire. It's boiling briskly. I take a sack and head for the garden.
   As I near the corn, I see that the entire patch has been destroyed. Them darned coons have struck again. All the stalks have been knocked over and each and every ear of corn has one or two bites taken from it. It's a personal affront to my gardening skills. There just has to be a way to beat them coons.
   This year, I sit at the kitchen table and read about how to install an electric fence to keep the coons out and a couple hundred feet away in the woods, there's a coon reading a book named "Electric Fences for Dummies".
   Life is hard for us old guys.
   You can find the EBook Kindle edition of this book, "Brothers by Fire" at Amazon.com and at www.peaceriverbooks.com. The Peace River Books blog is updated each day. 
   Stop in once in a while. I'll try to write something new and informative about my book Brothers by Fire.
Good Reading,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment